Flicker Alley has announced the release of director Richard Fleischer’s excellent film-noir, Trapped (1949), on Blu-ray.
Before making Hollywood epics such as Tora! Tora! Tora! and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, director Richard Fleischer started his career with a series of low-budget B-features, often taking ripped-from-the-headlines crime stories and spinning them into noir gold… of which an exquisite example is 1949’s endlessly entertaining Trapped.
A young Lloyd Bridges stars as hardboiled hood Tris Stewart, a convicted counterfeiter doing time in the Atlanta pen. When a fresh batch of fake bills starts circulating, Treasury agents bail Stewart out to help lead them to the maker of the fake plates. But Tris double-crosses the Feds, hooking up with his gun-moll sweetie (22-year-old Barbara Payton in her breakout role).
They plan to heist the plates and hightail it across the border. With the Feds closing in and the double-crosses piling up, Stewart finds himself between a rock and a hard place… and this time, he may be trapped for good!
Although long sought by the Film Noir Foundation, Trapped was believed to have suffered the unfortunate fate of many B-films of the era—oblivion. But when a private collector deposited a 35mm acetate print at the Harvard Film Archive, the Film Noir Foundation and UCLA Film & Television Archive (with support from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s Charitable Trust [The HFPA Trust]) sprang into action, restoring the film. The result, presented in a Blu-ray/DVD dual-format edition by Flicker Alley, honors the pitch-perfect performances, assured direction, and gorgeous cinematography of this edge-of-your-seat, noir classic.
Release date: December 31, 2019
Genre: Film Noir / Thriller
- Director: Richard Fleischer
- Cast: Lloyd Bridges, Barbara Payton, John Hoyt
- Country: USA
- Production Year: 1949
- Discs: 1 Blu-ray Disc
- Region: Free
- Run Time: 78 minutes
- Formats: Black and White; 1.37:1
- Audio: English
- Subtitle: English
- Studio: Flicker Alley
- NEW RESTORATION OF THE FILM
- “Freeing Trapped” — a mini-documentary on the film’s creation and history, featuring interviews with Eddie Muller, Donna Lethal, and others.
- “A Sedulous Cinderella: Richard Fleischer Remembered” — a remembrance of the man, the director, and the father, by his son, Mark Fleischer.
- Audio Commentary Track — Featuring author Alan K. Rode and film historian Julie Kirgo.
- 24-Page Souvenir Booklet — Featuring rare photographs, poster art, and commentary by “Czar of Noir” Eddie Muller.
Trapped (1949) trailer
Notice: The picture quality of these photos and videos do not reflect the picture quality of the blu-ray or DVD in this package.