Eureka Entertainment is releasing Three Films with Sammo Hung (1977-1987). The films in this three-disc box will be brand new 2K restorations.
One of the most prolific figures in the history of Hong Kong action cinema, Sammo Hung (Hung Kam-bo, or more affectionately, “Da Goh Da” [Big, Big Brother]) has worked as a stuntman, actor, choreographer, producer and director in a career spanning almost 60 years (his first film appearance was in 1961). Presented here are three highlights from his incredible career, showcasing his incredible skill and artistry both in front of, and behind the camera.
The three films
THE IRON-FISTED MONK (1977) – Sammo Hung’s directorial debut, THE IRON-FISTED MONK introduced many of the choreographic and editing techniques that would become commonplace in modern action cinema. A significantly darker and more violent film than audiences were used to, the film was originally cut when released on UK home video, but is presented here fully uncut for its worldwide Blu-ray debut from a brand new 2K restoration.
THE MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER (1979) – Directed by the legendary Yuen Woo-ping as a spiritual successor to his earlier smash hit, DRUNKEN MASTER, THE MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER stars Sammo as “Butcher” Lam Sai-wing, a pupil of Wong Fei-hung (the role Jackie Chan portrayed in Drunken Master, but here played by Kwan Tak-hing who played the legendary folk hero in over 70 films). When Lam is framed for murder by a rival clan, he must track down the real murderer and fight to clear his name. To be strong enough to have a chance of winning, he must train under the original Drunken Master, Beggar So! Presented from a brand new 2K restoration.
EASTERN CONDORS (1987) – Quite possibly Sammo’s best film, this high-kicking tribute to THE DIRTY DOZEN sees ten convicts offered amnesty if they undertake a deadly mission behind enemy lines in Vietnam to destroy a top-secret munitions dump. Featuring numerous references to Western war movies, such as THE DEER HUNTER and RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II, EASTERN CONDORS is an action masterpiece like no other, filled with incredibly dangerous stunt sequences and full-contact fight scenes that left its cast bloody and bruised. Presented here fully uncut for the first time ever in the UK, and from a brand new 2K restoration, this film is an absolute must-see!
Eureka Entertainment’s Three Films with Sammo Hung blu-ray set is available for purchase at Amazon.co.uk.
Release date: September 23, 2019SPECS
- Sammo Hung, Woo-Ping Yuen
- Starring: Sammo Hung
- Country: Hong Kong / China
- Production Year: 1977 / 1979 / 1987
- Discs: 3 Blu-ray Discs
- Region: B
- Run Time: 299 minutes
- Formats: Color; 2.35:1
- Audio: Cantonese, English
- Subtitle: English (Optional)
- Studio: Eureka Entertainment (UK)
- Includes O-Card slipcase
- Stunning 1080p presentation of all three films on Blu-ray, from brand new 2K restorations and in their original widescreen aspect ratios
- Original Cantonese mono tracks for all three films
- English audio options, all three films include the option of “classic” English dubs from the films original international releases, and the newer English dubs produced for later home video releases
- The Iron-Fisted Monk –- Fully Restored Cantonese mono track, with original sound effects reinserted after being absent from previous releases
- The Magnificent Butcher – Alternate Cantonese mono track featuring a unique mix and different music cues
- Eastern Condors: The Export Version [94 mins] – Presented in 2K, a shorter edit of the film released to international markets
- Newly translated English subtitles (optional) for all three films
- Brand new audio commentaries on Eastern Condors and The Magnificent Butcher by martial-arts cinema authority Mike Leeder and filmmaker Arne Venema
- Brand new audio commentary on The Iron-Fisted Monk and Eastern Condors by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Multiple interviews with Sammo Hung, talking about his work on each film
- Interview with actor and stuntman Yuen Wah, talking about his work on Eastern Condors
- Interview with Yuen Woo-ping, talking about his work on The Magnificent Butcher
- Eastern Condors Live! – a live performance from the 1987 “Miss Hong Kong Pageant”
- Trailers for all three films
- Limited Edition Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on all three films by James Oliver
Three Films with Sammo Hung – Eureka trailer
Notice: The picture quality of these photos and videos do not reflect the picture quality of the blu-ray or DVD in this package.