The Criterion Collection is releasing Director John Sturges’ exciting WWII classic, The Great Escape (1963) on a 4K restoration Blu-ray. Stars Steve McQueen.
One of the most exciting adventure tales ever told, this action epic recounts the planning, execution, and aftermath of a daring true-life escape from a German prisoner-of-war camp during World War II, in which 250 men attempted to tunnel their way to freedom. In the role that cemented his superstar status, Steve McQueen plays the motorcycle-racing daredevil who sets out to foil the Nazis, alongside an all-star cast that also includes Charles Bronson, James Coburn, James Garner, and Donald Pleasence.
The expert direction of John Sturges, eminently hummable Elmer Bernstein score, and rip-roaring stunts come together in what may just be the most spectacularly entertaining prison-break movie of all time, a rousing ode to the determination, camaraderie, and courage of everyday heroes.
Release date: May 12, 2020
Genre: Drama / Thriller
Disc and film details
- Director: John Sturges
- Cast: Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough
- Country: USA
- Production Year: 1963
- Discs: 1 Blu-ray Disc
- Region: A
- Run Time: 172 minutes
- Formats: Color / 4K / 2.35:1
- Audio: English
- Subtitle: English
- Studio: The Criterion Collection
- NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
- Two audio commentaries, one from 1991, featuring director John Sturges and composer Elmer Bernstein; the other, from 2004, featuring actors James Coburn, James Garner, and Donald Pleasence
- New interview with critic Michael Sragow
- “The Great Escape”: Heroes Underground, a four-part 2001 documentary about the real-life escape from the Stalag Luft III prisoner-of-war camp during World War II, including interviews with POWs held there
- The Real Virgil Hilts: A Man Called Jones, a 2001 program on the United States Army Air Forces pilot David Jones, the inspiration for Steve McQueen’s character in the film
- Return to “The Great Escape,” a 1993 program featuring interviews with Coburn, Garner, actors David McCallum and Jud Taylor, stuntman Bud Ekins, and McQueen’s son, Chad McQueen
- PLUS: An essay by critic Sheila O’Malley
The Great Escape (1963) trailer
Notice: The picture quality of these videos do not reflect the picture quality of the Blu-ray or DVD in this package.