UK cult film label Shameless Entertainment is set to release Director Lucio Fulci’s horror classic, The Beyond (1981), on a new 2K remaster of the film on Blu-ray. Stars Catriona MacColl.
When jaded New Yorker (Catriona MacColl) inherits a New Orleans hotel, she calls on composed local doctor (David Warbeck) to contain the inexplicable and increasingly gory accidents that are plaguing the building and its surroundings. But soon the Gates of Hell themselves open under the hotel, rendering their fight futile as the Dead emerge to walk the earth.
Release date: January 13, 2020
Disc and film details
- Director: Lucio Fulci
- Cast: Catriona MacColl, David Warbeck, Cinzia Monreale
- Country: Italy
- Production Year: 1981
- Discs: 1 Blu-ray Disc
- Region: B
- Run Time: 88 minutes
- Formats: Color / 2K / 2.39:1
- Audio: English
- Subtitle: English
- AKA: E tu vivrai nel terrore! L’aldilà; 7 Doors of Death; And You Will Live in Terror: The Beyond
- Studio: Shameless Entertainment (UK)
- NEW 2K REMASTER OF THE FILM
- FIRST-EVER PRESENTAITON of the film with four different versions of the prologue, seamlessly branched:
- Standard sepia
- Original color camera footage
- B&W version
- NEW fourth-way: presented as a homage to director Lucio Fulci and director of Photography, DOP Sergio Salvati. For this new alternative prologue version, for the first time ever, Shameless have used the restored color camera footage as a base on which a new golden toning was applied in reference to known considerations from DOP Salvati. All other sepia tint were monochrome. The result of applying tone over the newly rediscovered and restored color footage is that the reds of the gore are now strikingly visible and all the light sources such as the torches and car headlights are much more luminous and enhancing a painterly chiaroscuro never presented before.
- David Warbeck & Catriona McColl lively incisive commentary
- Director of Photography, Sergio Salvati, Audio Commentary dissecting the film – with English subtitles
- NEW interview with main protagonist, actress Cinzia Monreale
- NEW interview with actor Michele Mirabella
- Fulci banter on set (short)
- NEW unique interview with scriptwriter Mariuzzo on working with Fulci
- The Beyond Prologue four-way Comparison: Original color, B&W, Standard (monochrome) sepia, the new 4th-way: for the 1st time the golden version of toning over the original color footage.