Shout Factory announces the release of a classic Hammer Film from Director Don Sharp, Rasputin The Mad Monk (1966), on Blu-ray. Stars Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley.
Hammer Films’ dual reputation for screen shock and flamboyant costume adventure meld in this tale of the real-life “holy man” whose evil charm held the fate of an entire nation in its grip.
In Czarist Russia, Rasputin (Christopher Lee), a peasant monk, mysteriously demonstrates his healing powers by saving a woman’s life and asking only for wine and a Bacchanalian celebration in return. But soon Rasputin uses his evil charm and powers to become increasingly manipulative and violent.
Ferocious, devious and other-worldly, this uncouth peasant ingratiates himself bit by bit into the lives of the sophisticated royal class.
Christopher Lee’s multi-layered performance as Rasputin rates as one of the best portrayals in any film.
Release date: February 18, 2020
Disc and film details
- Director: Don Sharp
- Cast: Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley, Richard Pasco
- Country: UK
- Production Year: 1966
- Discs: 1 Blu-ray Disc
- Region: A
- Run Time: 92 minutes
- Formats: Color; 2.35:1
- Audio: English
- Subtitle: English
- Studio: Shout Factory
- Presented In Two Aspect Ratios – 2.35:1 And 2.55:1
- NEW Audio Commentary With Author/Film Historian Steve Haberman, Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr, And Filmmaker/Film Historian Ted Newsom
- Tall Stories: The Making Of Rasputin The Mad Monk
- Brought To Book: Hammer Novelisations
- World of Hammer Episodes: COSTUMERS And CHRISTOPHER LEE
- Audio Commentary With Stars Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley, Francis Matthews, And Suzan Farmer
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery