Lionsgate is set to release a 4K blu-ray edition of Sylvester Stallone’s Rambo (2008) on September 3, 2019.
What’s the story?
The ultimate American action hero returns – with a vengeance! After spending several years in northern Thailand operating a longboat on the Salween River, John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone) reluctantly agrees to carry a group of Christian missionaries into war-torn Burma. But when the aid workers are captured by ruthless Nationalist Army soldiers, Rambo leads a group of battle-scarred, combat-hardened mercenaries on an epic, last-ditch mission to rescue the prisoners – at all costs.
A bit of background
Stallone had stated that part of the reason that it took so long to produce a fourth film was due to a lack of a compelling story that motivated him to return to the role. An early idea was to have Rambo travel to Mexico to rescue a kidnapped young girl. Stallone thought it was “good”, however, he felt the idea lacked the “essence of Rambo”, still wanting the character to be a “lost man wandering the world”. Stallone got the idea to set the film in Burma from the United Nations, which he later pitched to producers.
The producers found the idea compelling after visiting Karen refugee camps. Maung Maung Khin is a former Karen freedom fighter and stated that if he accepted the role of the film’s villain, there was a chance some of his family would have been incarcerated in Burma, but accepted the role regardless, feeling that bringing awareness of the Saffron Revolution was important.
The film is banned by the Burmese government. Upon release, the then-ruling military junta ordered DVD vendors in Burma not to distribute the film due to the movie’s content.
Release date: September 3, 2019SPECS
- Director: Sylvester Stallone
- Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Julie Benz, Matthew Marsden
- Country: USA, Germany
- Production Year: 2008
- Discs: 2 Blu-ray Discs
- Region: A
- Run Time: 99 minutes
- Formats: Color; 2.39:1
- Audio: English
- Subtitle: English, Spanish
- Studio: Lionsgate
- Audio Commentary with Sylvester Stallone (Theatrical Cut Only)
- “It’s a Long Road: Resurrection of an Icon” Featurette
- “A Score to Settle: The Music of Rambo” Featurette
- “The Art of War: Completing Rambo” Multi-Part Featurette
- “The Weaponry of Rambo” Featurette
- “A Hero’s Welcome: Release and Reaction” Featurette
- “Legacy of Despair: The Real Struggle In Burma” Featurette
- “Rambo: To Hell & Back” Director’s Production Diary
- Deleted Scenes
- Theatrical Trailer
- Dolby Vision presentation of the film
- English Dolby Atmos track
- Optional English, Spanish, English SDH subtitles for the main feature
Rambo 2008 trailer
Rambo 2008 soundtrack
Notice: The picture quality of these photos and videos do not reflect the picture quality of the blu-ray or DVD in this package.