25th Anniversary Blu-ray Edition (UK)
She is to marry frontiersman Alistair Stewart (Sam Neill), having been sold him by her father, but takes an immediate dislike to him after he refuses to carry her beloved piano home with them, instead selling it to his overseer George Baines (Harvey Keitel). Attracted to Ada, Baines agrees to return the piano in exchange for lessons that gradually become a series of erotically charged sexual encounters. As the story unfolds like a Greek tragedy, complete with a chorus of Maori tribes, all of the characters’ long suppressed emotions come to the fore, as if elicited by the wildness of the natural world around them.
Concerning itself with Campion’s prevailing theme – women on the edge of societal norms (arriving after 1989’s Sweetie and An Angel at My Table and before Portrait of a Lady, Holy Smoke, In the Cut, Bright Star and her acclaimed HBO/BBC TV series Top of the Lake) THE PIANO remains perhaps Campion’s most definitive work. A tale of immediate urgency and tremendous expressive power by one of the most compelling filmmakers at work today, and long overdue for revisiting in its 25th Anniversary year.
Shipping starts on July 16, 2018
- Director: Jane Campion
- Starring: Holly Hunter, Harvey Keitel, Sam Neill
- Country: New Zealand, Australia
- Production Year: 1993
- Discs: 1 Blu-ray Disc + 1 CD
- Region: B
- Run Time: 120 minutes
- Formats: Color; 1.85:1
- Audio: English
- Subtitle: English
- Studio: Studio Canal (UK)
- Film and audio commentary with Jane Campion and Jan Chapman
- New The Piano, Making of The Piano
- Original Soundtrack CD
- Alternative artwork poster
- Booklet featuring new essays by: Film critic & broadcaster Anna Smith, Screenwriter & critic Kate Muir and Film journalist and Editor-at-large of Empire magazine Helen O’Hara
Notice: The picture quality of this trailer does not reflect the picture quality of the blu-ray or DVD in this package.