Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie star in Nic Roeg’s brilliantly atmospheric adaptation of the novel by Daphne du Maurier. Following the death of their daughter, John and Laura Baxter travel to Venice where he is to oversee the restoration of an old church. Here they encounter a pair of elderly sisters: one of them a blind psychic who claims to have been in communication with the couple’s dead child. Whilst Laura is intrigued John resists the idea, despite the possibility that he is having his own visions that threaten to put his life in danger.
Roger Ebert‘s 2002 review writes, “Nicolas Roeg’s 1973 film remains one of the great horror masterpieces, working not with fright, which is easy, but with dread, grief and apprehension. Few films so successfully put us inside the mind of a man who is trying to reason his way free from mounting terror.”
For the 2019 restoration of DON’T LOOK NOW, StudioCanal went back to the original camera negative which was scanned at 4K resolution in 16-bit and created the following: 4K DCP, UHD version and a new HD version which were produced with the same high technological standards as today’s biggest international film releases. The restoration and new UHD version was color graded and approved in London at Silversalt by the BAFTA Award-winning cinematographer, Anthony B. Richmond.
Richmond said of the restoration: “It was very exciting to come over to London to color correct the restoration of DON’T LOOK NOW. The important thing for me was to make it look like the original print. I think with the help of Silver Salt Restoration and colorist Steve Bearman we have succeeded in doing that. For me personally it’s incredible that having shot it in 1973 it’s being released in the cinema again in Dolby Vision. DON’T LOOK NOW is as strong and haunting now as it was when it was first released.”
Julie Christie said of the film’s re-release in cinemas: “Venice was a magical place to film, even waiting hours for the next shot was exciting because the surroundings were so mysterious and sensual. My dear Nic, Tony Richmond and myself were old friends from previous films and always had a lark whenever we worked together. Of course, I didn’t know what was in Nic’s mind when he was creating the film but when I did see it I was amazed at his extraordinary creations. A very precious time of my life.”
Release date: July 29, 2019
- Director: Nicolas Roeg
- Starring: Julie Christie, Donald Sutherland, Hilary Mason
- Country: UK
- Production Year: 1973
- Discs: 3 Blu-ray Discs + 1 CD
- Region: ALL REGIONS
- Run Time: 110 minutes
- Formats: Color; 1.85:1
- Audio: English
- Subtitle: English
- Studio: Studio Canal (UK)
4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS AND SPECIAL FEATURES
- BRAND NEW 4K 16-BIT RESTORATION FROM THE OCN, WITH COLOR GRADING BY CINEMATOGRAPHER ANTHONY B. RICHMOND, COMPLETED IN 2019
- ORIGINAL FILM SOUNDTRACK BY PINO DONAGGIO PLACED ON CD DISC
- NEW Pass The Warning: Reflecting on Nic Roeg’s masterpiece: new documentary featuring interviews with David Cronenberg, Danny Boyle, Brad Bird, Andrew Haigh, Stephen Woolley, Peter Bradshaw and more.
- NEW A Kaleidoscope of Meaning: Color in Don’t Look Now – Featurette
- NEW The New 4K Restoration – restoration featurette
Audio commentary with Nic Roeg
- Interviews with Donald Sutherland, Pino Donaggio, Allan Scott, Tony Richmond, Danny Boyle
- Don’t Look Now: Looking Back – Featurette
- Behind the Scenes stills gallery
- ALSO: The Collector’s Edition also includes the theatrical poster, art cards, and a booklet with an essay, an original press interview with Nic Roeg and script extracts from the BFI archive. (See photo attached below).
Notice: The picture quality of these photos and video does not reflect the picture quality of the blu-ray or DVD in this package.