“The true story of one man who made a difference.”
Forced to run from the Texas Rangers after a heated misunderstanding leads to the death of a lawman, Mexican American farmer Gregorio Cortez sets off in desperate flight, evading a massive manhunt on horseback for days. Producer-star Edward James Olmos, seeking to shed new light on a historical incident that had been enshrined in a corrido (folk song), enlisted director Robert M. Young, a longtime practitioner of socially engaged realism, to helm this trailblazing independent film, a landmark of Chicano cinema. Shifting its perspective between the pursuers and the pursued, The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez is a thrilling chase film and a nuanced procedural that peels away the layers of prejudice and myth surrounding Cortez, uncovering the true story of an ordinary man persecuted by the law and transfigured by legend.
Shipping starts on August 14, 2018.
- Director: Robert M. Young
- Starring: Edward James Olmos, James Gammon, Tom Bower
- Country: USA
- Production Year: 1982
- Discs: 1 Blu-ray Disc
- Region: A
- Run Time: 106 minutes
- Formats: Color; 1.85:1
- Audio: English
- Subtitle: English
- AKA: A Balada de Gregório Cortez
- Studio: Criterion Collection
- New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New interview with actor and producer Edward James Olmos
- New interview with Chon A. Noriega, author of Shot in America: Television, the State, and the Rise of Chicano Cinema
- Cast-and-crew panel from 2016 including Olmos; director Robert M. Young; producer Moctesuma Esparza; cinematographer Reynaldo Villalobos; and actors Bruce McGill, Tom Bower, Rosanna DeSoto, and Pepe Serna
- PLUS: An essay by film scholar Charles Ramírez Berg
Notice: The picture quality of this trailer does not reflect the picture quality of the blu-ray or DVD in this package.